Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cold and Wet: Wading through the North Lakes

by Patrick Weeks

Established but several months ago, the North Lakes are making waves not just around town, but nationally.  Their recent single has scored plays on CBC Radio 3, putting them on the same page as Boxer the Horse and Sam Roberts.  In their first official interview, Patrick Weeks asks tough questions, laments being a hipster.

Semantic: Explain your origins!
Michael Carver: We all play in other bands around town, and one day I contacted Nathan Gill to start a more folk inspired band. My new friend, lil'buddy aka Gillian (Arsenault, from the Barnkats) was invited and thus we became a nameless band that played in my basement. Once we had a song or two down we invited bassist Chris (Francis, of New Royalty and Urban Eatery fame), to the group. 
    Group name ideas were thrown around, but it was my persistent nature to "The North Lakes" that made this group of clueless wonders deeper in thought than they appear. In my mind "The North Lakes" name is based off the fact that the group creates music in this basement, which if you stand on a box, look out the window, and lean to the right you can see Charlottetown's North River. We make music by the North River. The North Rivers sucks. The North Lakes, less suck, more obscure "indie" name, like Balloon Trees. Balloon Trees, now there's a name. 

The Semantic: First, I know that you've been working a single recently and that it has gone up on your Myspace page. I'm curious to know which groups directly influence your music, particularly on this new single, and what sort of mood you think it emits?
Nathan Gill: Groups? Group of Seven, maybe. I'm not sure on the mood. I'd imagine the listener will dictate the mood rather than anything I could suggest. I would hope it would be greeted with a nodding head and a smirk. I think we all have a lot of musical influences though. Quite varied. I think it's too early to tell how any of them will impact our music. 
MC: Our influence - I don't think could be narrowed down to anyone group or artist. Within our group there are so many different tastes coming together that it shouldn't work, but it does. Folk, blues, pop, could-be-pop, unknown instrumentals, the illusive "indie" term.  
   For me, Cold Ottawa Wind (the single) allows people to paint their own image, sing along, and move their feet. I wouldn't want to predict what mood it should present people with, but let them find their own. 

Semantic: So do you think "indie" is a four letter word, in terms of self labeling?  
NG: Yes, I do. I'd rather avoid the term, really. Granted, if we're indie we're indie. I just mean I don't want to say that's what we are because it's what people want to hear. I'm not sure what we're categorized as yet, assuming indie is used as a categorization / genre. 
MC: I think I know what "indie" means, or well tries to mean. I think the term meant something different a year or two ago than it does now. I always thought, in music at least, that indie meant independent or informal not belonging to or affiliated with a major record. I think more recently indie has taken over music, lifestyle, and clothing. For my understanding indie is a unpolished or uncommercialized style of 'blank', be it music, clothes, or what you're eating for dinner. I guess I am confused with indie right now as certain clothing styles, which were once considered indie, are now mass produced. 
   As far as indie music taking on a new definition than just being independent of a major record label - I think it has. I think the majority of indie kids would be hard pressed to define what indie music is, but they all seem to know at the same time. We play what sounds good to us, and we're not very good at labeling our genre. How about, indie folk. 
I wear grampa sweaters, and dress shirts which are on their second life. I was told I am indie. I don't ask questions. 

Semantic: Well, as you are without a record label I would say that you are indie in the most literal sense of the word. How are you expecting your shows on the mainland will go over with audiences, and what are your plans for touring in the future? 
NG: I'm excited for them. I'll hand touring plans off to Carver. 
MC: I enjoy taking on the managing aspects of the bands I play in, and thus I have with The North Lakes. We're coming along with our shows, fine tuning each song. As far as touring we're not, but we have a couple shows coming up in Halifax, and we're looking to Fredericton as well. 

The North Lakes' next scheduled Island show is June 7th at Babas. You can find more information and their latest single at 
myspace.com/thenorthlakes.  

No comments: