Monday, January 12, 2009

Letters to the Editor

Editor,

What the fuck - I logged on to facebook the other day and half my friends list had Semantic vs Cadre statuses. Is this some sort of harebrained Semantic marketing rouse? I don’t get it. Both of the newspapers deny a rift. The Semantic refused to go on CBC to talk about it - why? How about both newspapers just grow the fuck up and stop writing about yourselves? This kind of senseless bickering is what made the Cadre suck as hard as it has for ten years.

Louis Yetinski
Alumni


Louis - Lou, baby, let’s talk this out.

First, let me congratulate you for having an excellent facebook friends list. I don’t doubt that you are a popular man with many literate, articulate friends . . . many of which probably write for The Semantic.

Addressing the issue at hand, there’s not - no, really - a rift between the newly christened Panther Post and us. I was going to go onto the radio and say as much, but I figured it would fuel more of that “senseless bickering” you so loathe. I suppose there’s been published animosity on both ends, but we try and keep it light-hearted. Who wants to read a newspaper that writes about itself? Who wants to read a newspaper that writes about other newspapers? Surely not you, Lou. And surely not the rest of UPEI. Sadly, few care of the politics of student newspapers . . . we felt it best left unreported. Hence our decision not to go forward with the CBC interview. That, and I sound like a dweeb on the radio (see: September interview with Matt Rainnie).

I believe, in an exercise in faith, that there’s mutual respect from both newspapers. Lucas (PP editor) and I are friendly. Our tones, obviously, are quite different. And I’m sure you remember, Lou, it’s not as though university students have enough to read already . . . har.

All the best,

-Ed.

No comments: