Thursday, February 5, 2009

Obama is in and the crowd goes wild!

The Semantic's Second take on the American Inauguration of last week.


By Gavin Hall

January 20th was a momentous day for the United States and indeed for the rest of the world.

Where was I when Obama gave his inauguration speech? I was sitting at the bar at the Wave looking on past a dusty Molson Canadian Beer Tap drinking one of Mr. Keith’s finest. Truly a magical moment in my personal history.

It was a wonderful ceremony full of lots of pomp and circumstance and lots of other stuff too. John Williams composed a piece that was played by some of the world’s greatest classical musicians. I was really excited when it started because I always loved montages with his best themes. Lord of the Dance is great and all but I was pumped for ‘The Raiders March’ (The Theme from Indiana Jones) or perhaps a rift of some Superman or Star Wars. It was good, but it could have been better John, seriously...

Aretha Franklin sang a tune in their as well. ‘My Country, ‘Tis of Thee’ which is a rewritten version of ‘God Save the Queen’ set to 1800s America, which was ok I guess, but I was totally hoping for ‘Respect’. That would have been awesome! I mean why she wouldn't just cover Triumph (the greatest band EVER) is past me. Which brings up the question of why people even bother making music once Triumph hit the airways? Seriously folks, it is not necessary, you’re wasting everyone’s time.

Obama’s speech was great! It was the first time I noticed him being really hard hitting and powerful against terrorists and America’s enemies. While I was watching I couldn’t help but think about ‘Team America: World Police’, “America, F**k Yeah!” It was a powerful speech with some great lines. But seriously why he didn’t just sing an excerpt from ‘Freedom Isn’t Free’, which is most definitely the greatest song about Freedom in America ever written. “Freedom isn’t free, now there’s a hefty f**king fee... and if you don't throw in your buck 'o five. Who will?” Powerful stuff.

Ok so Obama is in Bush is out. That’s all done with, but honestly folks this is all overshadowing the fact. The fact is that the new Indiana Jones movie was terrible. Honestly... George, Steve WTF? Aliens? Leave those for James Cameron.

No comments: